Sunday, October 24, 2010

Grandma White

This picture was taken on August 31st, my grandma's 85th birthday.  I never would have know that night when we celebrated with her, that in 22 short days, she would leave this earth.  I have thought about my grandma every day since, and many times I have thought to pick up the phone and call her and I quickly remember.  I truly do miss her.
Her funeral was so nice, and I know her and grandpa looked on, so joyful to see all their family gathered together.  I feel so privileged that I was able to speak at her funeral and share some wonderful memories of my own as well as memories from my siblings and cousins.  I'm so grateful I had such a great relationship with this wonderful lady!  I miss her so much, but I know her spirit lives on, and she is so happy!  I know that Heavenly Father's plan allows us to be together with those we love after this life, and I anticipate the day I can see her again!


What is a Grandma?

A grandma is warm smiles and treasured memories.

She has a closet full of toys and is a perfect playmate:  she plays Uno, No Peekee, and Skipbo, paints and colors, plays cowboys and Indians, plays dolls and even makes you doll clothes.

She sings to you, reads to you, tells you stories about your parents, about her life as a little girl, and her life with grandpa.

She teaches you important skills like how to iron, how to make a bed with perfect corners, how to budget.

She always keeps your sweet tooth satisfied with sugar cookies, lucky charms, scotcharoos, cereal treat, orange rolls, poptarts, homemade caramels, homemade chocolates…and she patiently teaches you how to make all of them.

She sits by you at church and files your nails or traces her finger around your hand.

She’s proud of all of your accomplishments big or small.  She loves to listen to you play the piano, sing, read, watch you play sports.  She writes to you on your mission.

She often tells you she loves you and makes you feel like the most important person in the world.

She sends you birthday cards with personal messages written in her cool handwriting.

She ties your hair in rags, lets you try on all of her jewelry, and teaches you how to give the perfect manicure.

She teaches you how to be a good spouse by loving your Grandpa.

She teaches you how to be a good parent by speaking softly and showing endless patience.

She teaches you who you really are by talking often of a Father in Heaven who loves you and bearing testimony of His plan.

She teaches you that families are forever.

1 comments:

zander1736 said...

Liz,
You are such a special person. What a great tribute to her. She loved you so much and was proud of the woman and mother that you had become.
She loved going to lunch with you and appreciated you taking her to the Dr. Most especially, she appreciated that you never forgot her.
You came by and brightened her day.
She always said that she had just spoken with you. It only meant everything to her.
Dad