Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Grandpa!

Today, my Grandpa White would have been 84 years old. He passed away five years ago last month. I have such a strong desire for my children to know and love all of my grandparents like I do...especially the ones they never meet. Zander is so lucky to know his Great Grandma White and Great Grandpa Schu. To help him get to know his Great Grandpa White and Great Grandma Schu, every year on their birthdays, we have a special family home evening. We tell stories about them, look at pictures, and have a special treat...something they loved!

This year, I put a bunch of little things in a bag and for each one Zander chose, we told him why it reminded us of grandpa. For all my family, see if you can figure all of the objects out. They were: a pineapple, a donkey, popcorn, a watch, an airplane, an indian, a car, home movies, a hymn book, a ruby ring, and uno.

Grandpa loved pie...any kind! We made a yummy blueberry cream pie (never mind my pregnant brain that forgot to bake the crust...luckily it still tasted delicious). Kelsey, Aubree, and Zander excited to taste it!

The big blueberry and the pie.

I loved looking through old pictures of my grandpa and remembering him. There were so many fun times and special memories that came to mind as I thought about him. And I could totally hear his voice and his laugh as I thought about him which made this all the more special.
During one of the stories, Zander stopped me and asked, "Do you think grandpa can hear us talking about him and hear all these stories?" Three year olds are so much more intuitive than we give them credit for!
Happy Birthday Grandpa! We love you, and miss you!

6 comments:

Mindy said...

Blueberry cream pie sounds yummy! How do you make it?

Nikki said...

I loved being reminded of your Grandpa White...he was so sweet! And by the way you are looking more pregnant since the last time I saw you and you look as beautiful as ever! :) I think I need you to give me some cooking lessons and ideas when I am done with school...k?

Nicole Cave said...

You Are so funny. I always love the ideas that you come up with that you share on your blog...and I also love that you take alot of time and effort into making your house a home!

The Ririe's said...

That is so sweet, and I love the idea of FHE! I loved going over to Grandma & Grandpa White's with Meg.

Meg said...

Ok, what is the pineapple and Indian. Those were the only 2 I can't think of. Was the Indian because of the little Indian set we used to play with?

Arriola said...

What a great tradition! I love that idea. You are a great mom.