So, anyone that knows me knows that I would never have a dog. Zander asks for one constantly, and I tell him..."I don't want a dog, I have kids." But lately, I've been wondering...do I have a four year old boy, or do I in fact have a puppy?
This child has a problem, and I don't know how to help him. He chews on EVERYTHING. This is no exaggeration! He's been found eating: my hair clips, cords to the Wii controllers, the wheels off most of his cars, Zackery's new toys from Christmas, his Book of Mormon, the coffee table, army men, DVD covers, crayons, pens and pencils, foam bowling pins, his clothes, his fingernails, other kids new toys, papers from preschool, tupperware, three CTR rings...the list goes on and on. Well, yesterday, I found that the vacuum cord had been chewed almost to the wires and Zackery's binky had been chewed up and thrown in the garbage. This is getting out of control, and I don't know what to do. I really don't want to punish him. We all have our nervous habits. Actually, before I say anymore, I have to say that he comes by this honestly. Both Aaron and I have had nail biting issues, and I remember as a little girl my dad threatening that if I didn't stop chewing on my toys, he was going to buy me dog toys. I obviously outgrew it, but the vacuum cord...I'm afraid he's going to electrocute himself!!
There's got to be a solution, but I'm at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm up for anything. In the meantime, maybe I will get dog. At least when I ask it to stop chewing my things up, it won't give me four year old attitude!
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Our Puppy
Posted by
Lindsey F.
at
9:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
That's so funny-I don't have any "chewers", but Kayden always has to be told to get his fingers out of his mouth and I haven't found the solution to that yet, so I'm afraid I'm not much help-but I would be a little worried about the vacuum cord as well. Oh, the weird things kids do!! Good luck.
there is some stuff you can buy over here for the nails and i wonder if that would work on other stuff 2 you paint it on like nail polish to be honest it would be easier if he were a dog then you just put pepper on everything
I would like to know waht works, because Camden has recently strted doing the same thing. But his is mostly cords, and so I have many things that cannot be charged due to the wires being cut. AAAHHHH!!! It makes me crazy!
Linds - seriously - watch that one. I'll have to tell you the story of one of my patients who was electricuted as a little girl... one of the saddest things I have ever seen. A
ooh scary. What about getting a huge pretty glass jar (the cute shaped ones from home goods) and place big bright gumballs in it, and let him pick one whenever feels the urge or when you "notice" that he isn't chewing on other stuff. OR just have sugar free gum all around the house so he can always be chewing that, or let him just have packs of gum. Now all you will have to worry about is gum on the couch, floor, hair, clothes etc!
Good luck on that one. Maybe he is a teeth grinder and constantly needs that feeling. Get him a mouth guard! :)
Hey Lindsey! This is Leslie, Steve's wife. I found your blog through our neighbor's-Nikki. It is such a small world and I am so glad I came acrossed your blog. It is so fun to see your boys and how big they are getting. We have a blog but it is private so if you would like an invitation just email me at lesthehesh@hotmail.com. Hope all is well.
Hi Lindsey, My Great-Aunt is an ice cruncher. She saw her doctor and has a deficency in her blood. Maybe Zander has something like that.
Amy
Hey Lindsey, just to let you know, we have two years left on the island. Eric will be back in September, but I don't mind if anyone wants to visit while he's gone.
Amy
Ok so I don't have any suggestions, because matti is teething right now and of course chews on everything! But it was really good to see you! It's so nice to see that you guys are doing amazing!
Post a Comment