Once upon a time, Zander used to be a good eater and he would try just about anything and everything with little coaxing. Then he grew up, got a mind of his own, and only talks of eating vegetables and becoming as strong as Mr. Incredible. I've had this cookbook for about three months now, and I've made lots of the purees; I just hadn't gotten around to using them yet. Last night I made the grilled cheese sandwiches with sweet potatoes, and they were so yummy! And the best part, Zander ate them! When Aaron saw what I was making he told me they looked disgusting and there was no way he would eat it. (Neither of us are sweet potato fans), but he even liked it! It even passed the Kenny test! I'm now a believer. I can't wait to try more. Here is the recipe for the sandwiches. I'll post more as I try them.
Sunday, March 30, 2008
I did it...I deceived, and I feel like a good mom!!
1/2 c. shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1/2 c. sweet potato or butternut squash puree
1 T. trans-fat-free soft tub margarine spread
1/4 t. salt
4 slices whole-wheat bread
Mix cheese, vegetable puree, margarine, and salt. Spread the mixture on two slices of bread and top with the other slices. Cook 4 to 5 minutes on each side in a cooking spray & olive oil coated pan. (I think the longer you can cook it the better so the cheese gets nice and melted and the mixture hot. And I didn't have margarine spread or the healthy cheese on hand, so I used what I had. Either way, my child ate a vegetable)!!
Posted by
Lindsey F.
at
3:06 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for the great tip...I have seen this book at Costco and have debated buying it. Baylee has become the pickiest eater so I will have to give this a shot! She loved sweet potatoes baby food but now refuses to eat baby food so this might be the perfect recipe!
I have seen that book around and debated...but it sounds like there is a lot of preparation involved and I will be honest and say I don't know if I would take the time to do it. Maybe if like you I made a bunch of the puree's ahead of time. Whoever thought of this though...is a genius!!
I love that cook book! The Green Eggs are one of Chloe's favorites. Yeah for sneaky moms!
I love it, maybe I could even get the grown up boys in my house to eat a vegetable once in a while!!!
I have that cookbook and it is GREAT! The tacos are to die for. Seriously, Billy and the kids couldn't get enough of the taco meat. The banana bread with the cauliflower is super tasty too. Umm..and the yellow cake with pumpkin was Keller's birthday cake- everyone who came commented on how tasty it was. I even made one of the frosting recipes in there. I've heard great things about the brownies but have yet to try them. The applesauce muffins are pretty darn good too. Let me know when you try other good ones.
Post a Comment